Sunday, January 6, 2013

Moving from Work Life to a Self-Directed Life

There are stages we all go thru during our life. For the most part I don't believe we are aware of how we move from age  to age, year to year, we just do it. There are many things to consider in this day and age. What do we do for a living? Where do we live? What do we eat? How much energy does it take to get through each day? The internet is a huge distraction as is TV. These issues are not the totality of what people have to deal with each day. They are just a few...I mention them to highlight things that enable us to move thru our lives without being aware of what is taking place....You hear people say..Wow! where did the time go?...It's a blurr...

I retired from my day job of 38 years recently and have been faced with the recognition of who I was, who I am...and who I want to be...The transition from an identity that was deeply ingrained with fixed time constraints to an open ended landscape has been interesting. The proverbial "forks in the road" and having to decide which ways to go. At this time perhaps due to my age and more experience with life than in past decades, or the fact that I am not raising a family any longer I am able to face conditions and choices in a straightforward manner. I can now do the cause/reaction review of options more clearly. I have been thru periods of being off balance and un-clear as I adjust to this new landscape. Some things have been reviewed easily and decisions made that are valid. Other adjustments have caused a malaise that has been depressing and morose in the feelings that have come up as i have sat in the bubbles that questions put you in while you are "sitting in them"...Your wife, family and friends cannot help you when you are in the bubble...it is so immediate and calling of demons so deep that they cannot be put into words to facilitate discussion. They are sometimes too private to share.

At these times of flux and instability I have found that recognition of what is good in my life and what "was" good about me is still present...there are things about you....good things, that are still there....don't forget this..you are not someone new..you are the same person you have been... remember this before you allow yourself to fall completely in to the "Abyss"..You are creating your new reality..which will be made up of many things you were AND where you want to go.

Personal Courage will help you to get thru this.Trust yourself...you are not MAD!! you're are just treading new ground. This is not easy!...Have courage that you will make the right the right decisions..they are yours to make and adjust as needed. Give it time! don't rush it...You are in the drivers seat. You steer the car. You can change things much as you add salt or other seasoning to any good recipe...Creating each day is challenging when you've been reporting to work M-F for a long time...In the beginning it is like a breath of fresh air..."I don't have to go to work!" feels great when you wake up...You have new enthusiasm with this..you have energy...it sustains you and gets you thru these days...the newness wears off...it then changes to "I don't have to go to work" what am I going to do?  This is where the rubber meets the road! What ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
What do you want to do? what should you do? Do you have obligations that you have created? I am involved with business startups. These always need tending to...and I reached a point where I was feeling overwhelmed and like I used to feel at my day job...mostly resentful..I wasn't self - moderating  and making deliberate choices about what I would do.

Self-discipline is so useful in these matters. Consistency with variation (as needed) is the key...oh yeah...keep guilt in check when you decide what to spend your time on....There are so many "You Better's", "Your Supposed To's" or "You Cant's" that come up...recognize if they are affecting you and more importantly, if you agree with them. Throw them out if needed.

A good friend of mine gave me a saying that is proving to be helpful.."FEAR IS NOT PRODUCTIVE" FEAR DOESN'T HELP WITH ANYTHING!! across the board...I say this with full belief. Living without FEAR and GUILT is hard. Try it.

A close connection with your Divine can assist greatly as you transition to a self-directed life. Drawing on strength from the Divine and FAITH helps to get you thru.

I am now practicing the following in my daily life (Not necessarily in the order given)

1. Time each day for exercise and health related matters
2. Time each day for business pursuits
3. Time each day for meditation/spiritual time  
4. Time for Fun and or study
5. Afternoon Napping time
6. Time with my Wife and fostering that relationship.
7. Recognizing the importance of ALL my family relationships
8. Maintaining an awareness that I am driving my life and and where it goes

I hope this article has provided some ideas to consider as you transition from your work life to spending your days in a self-directed fashion. -Blessings-

No comments:

Post a Comment